ID theft can occur by:
- Obtaining personal information from bills or account statements
- Personal transactions done in public
- Impersonating a credit union or bank through email, text messages, or phone calls
A few things you can do to prevent identity theft:
- Log off your account and computer when not in use
- Install anti-virus and anti-spyware software and keep your computer up to date
- Shred all documents containing personal information
- Be cautious of emails from unknown sources
- Never email personal information (i.e. Account Numbers, Social Security Number, or other private information)
Visit the Federal Trade Commission website: A national resource to learn about identity theft.
Identity Theft Resource Center: http://www.idtheftcenter.org.